CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Thoughts on my Dad

My Dad passed away 7.5 years ago. I was 9 months pregnant with Kevin and had a 2.5 yr old. We had just moved to NJ to be closer to him in CT and we practically lived there. I was the closest with him out of all my siblings( I think) and I have very fond and vivid memories of him. As my children get older I am seeing more and more of him and the things he loved in them. Things my Dad loved, he loved to read, he was ALWAYS reading. I remember he had a rotation a book for fun, a book for growth and a church or spiritual book. I am also an avid reader. I read about a book a week give or take, and so are my children. Anya has to read for school about 2 hrs a week and do a report on what she read on Thurs for school. When I went in for teacher conferences I asked her teachers if I should encourage her to read harder books because she is devouring books and reading about 3 a week. Her teachers were very impressed! As Kevin becomes a better reader I find him sneaking under his blankets and reading in the closet after the light is turned out. I hate it and love it at the same time. I love that they are learning the joy of exploring other worlds and as Anya gets older I love being able to discuss books with her!

My Father loved sci-fi. We watched Star trek all the time as a family. Come to think of it I can't remember if my Mom watched. My children have formed a love of all things "geek".

When I was a child my father sat on the floor in our bedroom and read us The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien. I remember sitting in my bunk bed just imagining the world of hobbits, and elves and Golum. It was magic, he even did the voices! I now read books above my kids reading level every night so that they can have those awesome memories. The other day Kevin asked if I could read them The Hobbit. I nearly died. Memories of my Dad came flooding in. The bedtime story, the advice and car rides and everything I did with my Dad. He wasn't around a lot when I was younger because he worked full time, went to school full time, taught adult education, had lots of hobbies. I miss my Dad but am so glad of the time I did have with him and all that I learned from him. I hope he is smiling at my kids and wishing he could play Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and introduce them to all sorts of other cool sci-fi/fantasy things. Until I get to see him again I will see the world through the eyes of my children and see joy and imagination

No comments: