CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cheater, Cheater, pumpkin eater

No one in my family likes pumpkin, except me. I love it.
I don't really believe in sneaking in veggies, unless they know they don't like them.

This dish is a great way to sneak in pumpkin. Also I call it cheater, cheater because I normally never use pre-made food, but I hate making Alfredo, so I just bought some!
Ingredients:Tortellini- enough to feed your family. We like leftovers so I made about 1/3 of the Costco size bag.
Alfredo sauce- to be authentic and processed free make it yourself, or go buy your favorite kind. I bought the store brand.
Pumpkin puree - Maybe about 1 c. I froze my own last year from our jack o lanterns and I used about 1/4 of the jar.
Nutmeg - maybe 1T.
Sausage - about 1 lb. not pictured, due to the fact that we got it from the butcher and I took pictures after I made dinner. I used loose italian sausage but you could use any kind really.
Shaky Shaky cheese - again you could use real Parmesan but I didn't have any and I like it a little more cheesy than not.

Cook your tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside
Cook sausage in same pot that you made tortellini in.
Add pumpkin and cook a few minutes. Until warm through
Add Alfredo sauce and stir until combined.
Add a few shakes of nutmeg and Parmesan cheese.
Warm through and serve immediately over tortellini.

It would also be tasty with some frozen peas mixed into it.

Serve with a mixed green saladIt is not the most appetizing colorful dish in the world but it is quick and savory and tasty.

The verdict:
Anya - preferred not to eat it, but tried one bite.
Kevin- threw it up, but I think that is due to his coughing.(hopefully)
Me - liked it but not my favorite dish, a little heavy for me.
Ed - loved it, was excited to bring it to work and have everyone be jealous.

No comments: