CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A great new Recipe

I am always for new recipes and I found a wonderful one that is good for you too.
Not so kid friendly, Mexican and a touch spicy(mild-med)

This is from Zonya.com
Chili Cornbread Pie
Preheat oven to 375
Combine in a 9x13 baking dish
2 15oz cans of chili beans
1 can corn
1/2 med onion chopped
1/4 c cilantro ( I didn't use this)
1 tsp. Zippy Zonya Mexi Mix( I haven't the foggiest what this is, so I added some chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
1/2 t salt

Combine in a Med. bow using a fork to be sure baking powder is evenly distributed
1c. yellow cornmeal
1c.all purpose flour
1T baking powder
1T sugar
1/2t salt

Add to dry ingredients and stir until well blended
1c. skim milk or plain soy milk
2T canola oil

Spoon 9 even spoonfuls of the batter in a 3x3 pattern on to the bean mix. Place in oven to bake for 30 min.
Let sit for 5-10 min when done.

We made it not so good but extra yummy by adding a spoonful of sour cream to the top in our bowls!

It is also vegetarian and uses beans which are oh so good for you!
If you try it let me know what you think, oh and I know crazy to use my oven in the summer, but it has been somewhat cool here at night!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Sounds yummy - I think I'll try it this week while two of the picky eaters are away...thanks for sharing!

Maureen serrano said...

Yummy!!!!